7.26.2009

Why Defying Gravity?

I've decided to venture out and start a blog. I really have no idea what I'm doing, nor why I think anyone would actually read what I write. I'm not particularly witty, funny, or insightful. Now that I've given three good reasons not to read my blog, I invite you on my little adventure!

Naming a blog is a difficult venture. It's like describing yourself in three words, or three pizza toppings, or by what you would take to a deserted island (a boy scout, a boat, and a GPS unit, by the way). Once you come up with a name, you most likely find that it's already taken, and you must start the process all over again. Endofthesidewalk? Not available. Wherethesidewalkends? Not available. Neither are any of the 67 variations I came up with. So much for a Shel Silverstein theme. But then I remembered the cover of his beloved poetry collection, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I was always amazed at the little sliver of land that the kids held on to. And I always wondered what would happen if they took one more step. Which brings me to the name of my blog: Defying Gravity. The lyrics of the ever popular song from Wicked seem to describe my transitional state right now.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

A year ago, I realized I needed a change. I threw myself into taking classes and getting volunteer hours so I could apply to get my doctorate in physical therapy. I took a huge step of faith by quitting my full-time teaching job to go back for 9 semesters of school! Stepping off the edge of that sidewalk has been the best thing I could have done for myself. I was comfortable. Unhappy in my job. Ready for a change.

Will you close your eyes and leap with me?








No comments:

Post a Comment